Thursday, December 9, 2010

Caramelized Onion Pork Loin

I am always on the lookout for delicious recipes, and am always amazed to find how few of them involve pork.  Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but pork loin seems like a neglected meat, and that is TOO BAD since it's so easy to make it absolutely delicious!


For two people, I carmelized one medium yellow onion with about a teaspoon of olive oil and some sugar.  It took about 40 minutes, which absolutely drove me crazy because the smell of caramelized onions is one of my favorites.


I had two pieces of a pork loin (a total weight of just over half a pound, for two people) that I sprinkled with a garlic pepper seasoning, then topped with the caramelized onions.  I placed the pork in my oven, preheated to 375, and let it bake for about 40 minutes (or until the internal temperature reaches 160).


The final product was moist, tender, and absolutely delicious.  Next time I will definitely cover the pork for the first part of the baking, to keep the onions a little prettier.  But even though they look burnt, they weren't, and the sweetness of the onion was the perfect contrast to the pork loin!

I served the pork with these whole wheat dinner rolls (I made the dough in my bread machine) and they turned out great, too!


I'm still in holiday party mode, for next week.  I'm debating starting my own business (so that I can indulge in pajama-filled days and naps) and am going to be attempting to promote myself at these parties.




Giuseppe Zanotti via Bergdorf Goodman

These shoes give off just the right message, I think:  look at me!  I'm sparkly and fun and fancy, but you can't see my toes, so that means I'm serious.

2 comments:

  1. OMG can I trade my subway in that I had for dinner for this...that looks so yummy!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good. seems like everything i ever cook for dinner involves beef or chicken so i'm happy to have a pork recipe to try...thanks!

    ReplyDelete