Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Baker I am Not: Day One

I've always had an inkling that baking probably wouldn't be my strong suit.  I like to throw random things in when I'm cooking, and I know that is frowned upon by those with mad baking skillz.  My inkling was proved correct when I attempted to make tasty treats for the peeps in the BF's office, and those treats exploded . . . all over my microwave.


Microwave Caramels
1/2 c. butter
1 - 1/8 c. brown sugar
Dash of salt
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/2 c. plus 2 T. sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla


In a large (and I mean large . . . mine was not large enough, hence the EXPLOSION) glass bowl, microwave the butter, brown sugar, and salt on high, for 1 minute.  Gradually blend in the corn syrup and condensed milk.  Then, microwave on high 10 minutes, stirring every 4 minutes until the caramel reaches the firm ball stage (245 degrees) . . . according to my mom (who gave me this recipe) I failed at this step.  My caramels probably needed another 2-4 minutes to reach that stage.  The explosion freaked me out, so I didn't allow them to ball . . . firmly.  Then, blend in vanilla. Pour the mixture into a well-buttered 9x9x2 pan.  Allow the caramel to cool thoroughly (I let mine set for a few hours).  Cut the caramel into small squares and wrap each square in plastic wrap or wax paper.   


The reason my caramel is misshapen and has holes is because of the lack of firm balling.  HA!  I'll definitely mind my caramels much more carefully (and not let them scare me) the next time around.


They may not have been firm enough, or perfectly shaped, but these taste GOOD.  Really good.  I was glad to send 3/4 of them to the BF's office so that I wouldn't turn into a caramel, myself.

If I were going to be spending the holiday entertaining people other than the BF and myself, I would spend the day wearing something fabulous under my apron and rocking these:



Tory Burch via Nordstrom

As it is, I'll be lounging around all day (and cooking) in my gumdrop jammies and slippers . . . 

. . . eating caramels.

1 comment:

  1. Oh and here I was just emailing you what you baked! Dud can I get some of those bad boys shipped to Illinois cuz those look friggn awesome! Plus carmel is like my fav!!!!!!

    Have you ever heard of making carmel in a can??? Just curious?

    Paula

    ReplyDelete