Saturday, December 11, 2010

Skillet Chicken and Artichokes

If you ask anyone who knew me as a child about my eating habits, they would tell you that I didn't eat anything.  I liked macaroni and cheese (obviously, as it remains my favorite food) and chicken.  And that's about it.  So I'm sure that when those people who tell you that I didn't eat anything as a child read that I whipped up some chicken with artichokes for supper this week, they will be shocked.  And impressed (in my head, anyway).


For two people, this recipe requires:

2 chicken breasts
a chicken seasoning of your choosing (I use Tastefully Simple Garlic Black Pepper [that may not be what it's actually called, but it's close])
3 oz. marinated artichoke hearts, drained, coarsely chopped, and marinade reserved
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup water (or white wine)
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms


Sprinkle the chicken with whatever seasoning you like.  In a skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the reserved artichoke marinade.  Add the chicken and brown, about 4 minutes per side.  Once your chicken is browned, push it off to the side and stir the flour into the artichoke marinade.  Add the water (or wine), chicken stock, and bouillon granules and stir until slightly thickened.  Add the artichokes and mushrooms.  Cover all of that goodness up and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is nice and tender and you can't stand the delicious smells anymore.


You could serve this with noodles, rice, or couscous (I served mine with leftover whole wheat rolls from the night before).  The chicken got rave reviews from the BF, in spite of the mushrooms (probably because there was lots of sauce.  His requirements for what constitutes a good meal are nothing if not . . . simple).

As for today's shoes . . .



Jimmy Choo via Bergdorf Goodman.

These are neat.

1 comment: