Saturday, October 16, 2010

Horseradish Couscous

This is a recipe that is in regular rotation around these parts (well, sort of) that I have tweaked along the way and I think I finally perfected it (which is a lie, I'll change it every time, I'm sure).  This recipe started out as a dijon and horseradish couscous from Healthy Cooking Magazine and was pretty simple . . . roasted veggies, couscous, and a simple sauce.

Simple = no fun.  So I messed with the recipe a bit (and I will try to provide the entire recipe, here, since I've changed it enough that I feel it's required).  First, I chopped a container of mushrooms, a zucchini, 1/2 a red bell pepper and 1/2 a yellow bell pepper into uniform-size pieces.



In a separate bowl I whisked 1/4 cup of dry red wine, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons brown spicy mustard, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and 1 teaspoon of prepared horseradish.


It is not the loveliest sauce to look at, but it is delicious.  I placed my vegetables in a 9x13 dish with a big piece of foil on the bottom, poured the sauce over the top, and tossed it all together so the vegetables were nicely coated.  Then I sealed up the foil with another piece, making a big packet, and put the whole thing in the oven at 350, for 25 minutes.

Meanwhile I prepared another batch of sauce (anybody who reads this blog regularly [or has met the BF] knows why) and boiled three chicken breasts.  After the chicken was cooked through, I sliced it thinly and set it aside, and prepared a box of couscous according to the directions (normally I use whole wheat couscous, to make the dish just a little healthier, even though it's pretty darn healthy already).

When my veggies were done, I pulled them out of the oven and dumped them in with the couscous, threw the chicken on top, and mixed the whole thing together.



TA DA!  An entire meal in one bowl AND that bowl, and the pot you boil the chicken in, is all you have to clean up since the veggies were roasted in foil!  GENIUS!

As for shoes, I'm craving booties.  I love booties.  And often it is too hot in Florida for my already sweaty feet to be put into booties.



Dior via Neiman Marcus.

Surely I could make an exception for these.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm....I have only had couscous once and I wasn't a fan. This recipe wants to make me give it another go : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley this looks YUMM! I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete