Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Quinoa Mac 'n' Cheese

I feel like a common phrase around these parts, lately, has been "well I found it on pinterest."  I talk about it with the F, I talk about it with my pin-addicted colleagues (see their boards here and here), and sometimes I talk about it with people I don't know.  My name is Ash, and I'm a pin addict.


I can hear the chorus of "Hi Ash" coming to me from across the blogosphere.  I appreciate it. 


I used this recipe for the basis of my quinoa mac and cheese.  I added spinach and asparagus (lightly sauteed, first) to my mac and cheese, and used a mixture of cheddar and pepperjack cheeses.  I also topped the panko with a healthy dose of red pepper, to give it the kick that I always crave - especially at lunch time.


When the mac and cheese was done baking, I allowed it to cool, then portioned it out into 1 cup servings for lunch.  The whole process took less than an hour, and I had lunch for a week (the F got some, too)!  It doesn't get much better, and since quinoa is a great, high-protein grain, I didn't feel terribly about eating "mac 'n' cheese" for lunch.

I'm also not going to feel terribly about beginning my shopping for clothes for our honeymoon now.  The F has informed me that no matter where we go (Italy and South Africa are both options he's considering) the weather will be in transition, so I need to be prepared to layer.  I also need to be prepared to wear some fabulous shoes.
Manolo Blahnik via Bergdorf Goodman

These would be a wonderful piece for the trip, I think, since I could wear them with nearly anything and they'd be suitable for brunching or dinnering, whether on safari or in Tuscany.  Right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment