Monday, September 3, 2012

Grilled Corn on the Cob

I have very fond memories of going with my mom to the farmers' market, located in the K-Mart parking lot, when I was a kid and buying corn on the cob.  Delicious, sweet, yellow corn on the cob.  If you asked me, today, to name my favorite food, it would be very high on the list, and I still enjoy going to the farmers' market to pick some up today.


My favorite way to prep corn on the cob, now that we have a house and a yard and a grill, is to grill it.  I've tried grilling it without the husks and with, as well as wrapped in aluminum foil.


Grilling the corn either in the husks or wrapped in foil yields the best results, in my humble opinion, unless you have the patience to stand over a hot grill for 15 minutes, watching unwrapped (or un-husked) corn to make sure it doesn't get too charred.


Whichever way you grill it, the process is the same:  turn the grill on high and let it get nice and hot, put the corn on the grill, turning every 3 minutes or so, for 15 minutes.  CAREFULLY pull it off the grill and unwrap it (unless you grilled it "naked") and enjoy!


This particular picture is of the corn after a naked grilling - you can see how charred it got.

I like to serve my corn with a compound jalapeno lime butter (more on that on Friday), alongside steaks, burgers, chicken, pork chops, cereal . . . anything, really.

The opposite end of the goes-with-anything-spectrum belongs to these:

Jimmy Choo via Saks

These go with nothing.  Unless you're on an intergalactic space mission to find corn on the cob after having lived in a high-fashion hole on Mars.  Then - game on, or in the unforgettable words of Sookie Stackhouse:  "boot and rally."

No comments:

Post a Comment