Friday, September 7, 2012

Quickie Friday: Compound Butter

Few things bring me as much joy as making a compound butter.  Knowing that it is going to develop such rich flavors, then melt into glorious puddles atop anything warm has me anxious to get back into the kitchen, now, and make some more.


The butter I made to go with my grilled corn on the cob was spicy and fabulous, and it all started with one little charred jalapeno.  I turned the grill on high and torched it, then sealed it in a plastic container to steam until the skin pulled off easily (about 15 minutes).


I used my mortar and pestle to grind the peeled jalapeno with some lime juice, cilantro, and lime zest, then I combined the whole thing with a (by the time I got to it, melted) stick of butter.  I put a piece of plastic wrap inside my ramekin, and poured the butter in, then put it in the fridge to set.


An hour later we had awesome butter for our corn, and it would taste great on protein, too (I'm thinking of sauteing some shrimp in it, soon).


It was easy to spread on my corn, too, since it chilled into quite a solid mass.  And now I keep some sort of compound butter in the fridge constantly!

I don't have a clever tie-in for these boots, or anything to say about them other than they're cute, they're cheap, and I want them.


That will be all.

No comments:

Post a Comment