Monday, January 28, 2013

The Easiest Prime Rib

Way back in 2010, I attempted a prime rib for the first time, for Christmas dinner.  It was fine.  I overcooked it.  But it was fine.  This year (or, now, last year!) I was determined to do better.


The first step, of course, was to make a rub.  I used the following recipe (originally found here):

2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder

While the recipe said to only use a couple of tablespoons for a five pound roast, I used all of it (on my five and a half pound roast, which sat for about an hour until it was room temperature).


I had my butcher cut the roast off of the bone, then tie it back on, for optimal flavor.  I also decided to roast my prime rib in the big ass turkey roaster I bought for Thanksgiving.  It worked quite nicely!  

First, I put the prime rib in the roaster (preheated to 375) and let it roast for one hour.  Then I turned it off, and let it sit for 3 hours.  As the instructions indicated, I DID NOT OPEN THE LID!  When we were getting ready for the big feast, I turned the roaster back on to 375 and let it cook for another half an hour.  I let it stand while I finished up the sides and that was that!


It turned out much better than the first time, for sure.


I served the roast with this porcini and bacon sauce.  Please forgive the lack of pictures of the sauce, they weren't blog-worthy.  I honestly don't know that this could have turned out any better.  It was rich and flavorful, and perfect for Christmas!

When I see a prime rib, with its dark brown exterior and warm, reddish-pink center, it's hard not to think of chocolate brown Louboutins.

via Saks

The fact that these are also suede is not lost on me.  Meaty.

No comments:

Post a Comment