Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Brioche Rolls

To say that the culinary undertaking for Christmas this year was extensive would be an understatement.  (Prime rib with bacon porcini sauce, truffle brownies, and homemade ice cream if you're out of the loop, thus far.)


I figured that my go-big-or-go-home mentality shouldn't get in my way, so we had brioche rolls and caesar salad (more on that on Friday) too.  I had never made brioche before, in any form, but this recipe from my collection of Bon Appetit mags (going on 3 years worth) seemed like a good place to start.


I have never dealt with such sticky, buttery dough in my life; it was challenging.  And time consuming.  But like any good wannabe chef, I soldiered on.


I applied ample amounts of butter to my stone muffin pan, to be sure that the brioche rolls wouldn't stick.  As it turns out, the rolls themselves were so buttery I needn't have worried.  Better safe than sorry, though!


A little egg wash and a sprinkling of course kosher salt made all the difference.  These rolls were buttery, sweet, salty, and AMAZING.  If this is the reason I gained weight over the holidays, then I'm not mad at 'em.


What's not to love?!

Valentino via Bergdorf Goodman

I'll say it again . . . what's not to love.  If sweet, salty, and buttery applied to a flat, these would be them.  Valentino may call them Rockstud flats, but they will be known forever in my heart as brioche flats.

No comments:

Post a Comment