Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Turkey Parmesan Meatballs

When my mother and aunt were in town, way back in October (where did the time . . . year! . . . go?) I decided to try my hand at a turkey parmesan meatball recipe of my own creation.  I am not going to lie, it turned out well. 


First up, the red sauce.  I started by sauteing a half cup of red onion in a little olive oil, then adding four cloves of minced garlic garlic once the onions became slightly translucent.  At that point, I added one 28 oz. can Cento tomatoes (whole), sugar (about 2 tablespoons), as well as oregano, basil, red pepper, salt, and pepper (to taste).


I crushed the tomatoes as the mixture simmered, to ensure a nice thick, rich sauce.  I then covered the sauce and set to work on my meatballs (first step, preheat the oven to 350 degrees).

1 lb. ground turkey
1 egg
1/2 c. parmesan
1/2 c. breadcrumbs
one medium red onion
1/4 c. chopped parsley
4 cloves garlic
To taste:  oregano, basil, red pepper, salt, pepper

Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl and use your hands to combine well.  Shape the mixture into racquetball-sized meatballs.


I browned my meatballs as best I could on all sides.  And set them aside, momentarily, to drain any residual fat.  I poured a few large spoonfuls of my red sauce into a 9x13 baking dish, then placed the meatballs on top.


I poured the remainder of my sauce over the meatballs, and added a few slices of fresh mozzarella for extra credit (cheese never hurts, especially fresh mozzarella!).

After baking for about 20 minutes, I served the meatballs with some sauteed spinach and a mixture of orzo and shredded zucchini.


That photo does not do the meal justice.  The meatballs were filling, yet light, and the side dishes accompanied the cheesy flavor of the meatballs perfectly.

I think that these wedges would accompany my spring wardrobe nicely:

Pollini via Saks

I'm not familiar with Pollini, but at this price point and with shoes that are this gorgeous, I suspect we'll be great, lifelong friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment