Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas

On Monday night I whipped up these enchiladas, which are based on a Campbell's soup recipe my mom copied and gave to me when I left for college (Hi Mom!) and which are now a regular staple in the Cookin' in Heels house (although with lots of changes).


In a large pot, bring a lot of water (I'm not sure how much, I apologize for my inaccuracy!), 2 chicken bouillon cubes, 2 teaspoons of cumin, 2 teaspoons of chili pepper, and 2 minced garlic cloves to a boil.  Add 4 medium chicken breasts and 1, 10 oz. package of frozen spinach and boil until the chicken is cooked through (usually about 15 minutes).  Remove the chicken and drain the spinach and let cool, then shred the chicken.  (You can also cheat and buy a store-bought rotisserie chicken, but I don't think it tastes nearly as good.)  In a separate bowl, combine 1 can of cream of chicken soup with 3/4 cup of light sour cream, plus 1 tablespoon of juice from a jar of jalapenos (if you don't like spicy, skip it).


In a large pot (I use the same pot that I used to boil my chicken and spinach), saute one medium onion in 1 tablespoon of butter until tender.  Add 2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1 small can of chopped green chilis, the shredded chicken, drained spinach, and 3 tablespoons of the soup mixture. 


Spread a small amount of the soup mixture in the bottom of a 9x9 square baking dish.  Divide the chicken mixture evenly into 6 whole grain tortillas, and fit them into the baking dish.  Spread the remainder of the soup mixture over the rolled tortillas, and top with 1/4 cup shredded cheese (I use a Mexican cheese blend).  Bake at 325 for 20 minutes, until bubbly and melted.


I serve mine topped with salsa and jalapenos.  It ain't pretty, but it tastes damn good!

The Dolce Vita for Target wedges I posted yesterday got me thinking that maybe it is possible to find cute shoes that I can actually afford.

Plenty by Tracy Reese via Nordstrom

I love these (in grey) and their price makes them totally purchase-able, especially since I know I will wear them ALL the time.  Meant to be?  I think so!

1 comment: