Friday, January 28, 2011

White Chili

The weather has, once again, cooled down a bit here in Florida (into the 30s at night!  30s!) so I felt a chili post would be appropriate. 


The recipe:

2 poblano peppers, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 heads of garlic
Olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1 16 oz. jar salsa verde
2 cans great northern beans


Cut 1/4 inch off the tops of the three heads of garlic and peel off all of the excess peel, leaving the individual cloves peeled.  Drizzle with olive oil and roast, covered, at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes, then set aside to cool.

In the meantime, saute the peppers and onion until translucent, then add the ground turkey and spices.


Let the turkey mixture simmer away while you squeeze the garlic cloves (which are hopefully cooled, now) onto a plate.  I use a pastry cutter to mush up my garlic . . . works like a dream!


Bad picture.  Looks gross.  Tastes great.

Add the garlic, salsa, and beans to the turkey mixture and let all of the flavors get busy.  I usually leave mine on the stove for about an hour and a half, on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.


I like to serve the whole thing with some "Mexican 4-cheese blend" and (more) salsa (red, this time, for variety).  It is perfect for a cold day!

The BF and I are going to a pirate party this weekend (pirates are huge here, they get their own festival) so I'm in the mood for pirate-y footwear.


Givenchy via Barneys


These feel pirate-y to me.  Maybe it's the grommets?

2 comments:

  1. You are so funny. 30 degrees, girl it was like in the negatives here when I took J to school the other morning, negative. Not even right.

    We just made chili, yum it's one of my favs!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your posts they are great I have the same porblem with my cooking pics but anyway this is for fun, xOXO


    http://saborami-myflavour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete