Monday, February 25, 2013

Philly Cheesesteak-Stuffed Peppers

In my great plan to eat less carbs for supper, I stumbled across this recipe (via pinterest) for Philly Cheesesteak-stuffed peppers.


Genius!  I thought.  I love peppers, onions, cheese, mushrooms, and meat.  The recipe (adapted, slightly) goes a little something like this:


8 oz. roast beef (I purchased Boar's Head at the deli)

8 slices provolone cheese

2 large green bell beppers (seriously, LARGE)

1 large red onion, thinly sliced

8 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced

2 Tbs. olive oil

4 cloves garlic

Salt and white pepper to taste



Saute your onions and mushrooms in olive oil until they begin to soften, then add the garlic.  Slice the roast beef into strips and throw it in with the onions and mushrooms.  In the mean time, slice the bell peppers in half and clean out the ribs and seeds.

Using an inappropriate-for-the-job humongous knife just makes it more fun.

Place a slice of provolone inside each half of the pepper, then fill the peppers with the meat mixture.


Arrange the peppers in a baking dish, and throw any leftover meat on top.  Don't waste it!  It's tasty!

Top the whole darn thing with another four slices of provolone, then put it in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until the top is nice and bubbly.



By my estimation, one of the best things about this dish is that the peppers maintain a little bit of their snap in the oven, and the textures are as awesome as the flavors.  And I didn't miss the carbs at all (as a girl who loves nothing more than noodles covered in butter, THAT is an achievement).

If you ask me, these shoes are as classy as a Philly cheesesteak and as unexpected as stuffing that delicious sandwich inside a pepper and leaving the bread behind.


Manolo Blahnik via Neiman Marcus

Not to mention I consider the BB to be one of the most classic (and classy)-looking shoes out there.  Anybody want to send me a pair?  Anybody?!

No comments:

Post a Comment