Monday, February 18, 2013

Flax-Cakes

I love pancakes so much, but they really aren't healthy, per se.  In my never-ending quest to eat better, I changed my tried and true recipe with great results.


1/2 cup ground flaxseeds (I buy Bob's Red Mill flax seeds and grind them myself)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon light agave nectar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup milk (this is approximate)


In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and canola oil, then add the wet mixture to the dry.


Preheat a griddle to medium-high heat.  I always cook my (low sodium) bacon on my griddle, first, so I know it's good and hot, then wipe it down and start with my pancakes.


Cook the pancakes until bubbles form, pop, and don't refill with batter, then flip.  I use my spatula to test the "jiggle" of the pancakes on the second side, and when they're no longer wiggly I know they're done!


Yes, I realize the vast amounts of butter and syrup defeat the purpose of a healthy pancake.

I like my pancakes with a side of egg whites and a fair amount of syrup (Log Cabin Lite being my favorite.  Don't ask me why).  I've tried to cut back on my syrup, but it's been a tough battle (and syrup usually wins).  These pancakes are definitely healthier than my usual, though, so I consider it a step in the right direction!

Another step in the right direction comes in the form of electric orange snakeskin, courtesy of Burberry Prorsum.


In fact, if you slather them in syrup I'm quite certain they'd be good enough to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment