Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Cauliflower Cakes

My hatred (and the F's love) of potatoes is well-known to my regular readers (examples one, two, and three), so I decided to play some food tricks to please myself and stupefy the tater-lover.


This recipe (inspired by this post and discovered and pinned here) prompted my bit of mischief.  First, I boiled one head of cauliflower for about 10 minutes, then drained and mashed it up as I would potatoes.


In a bowl, I combined 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Mexican blend cheese, three green onions, three cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon cayenne, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup bread crumbs.  I added that, along with the two eggs the original recipe called for, to my mashed cauliflower.


I pan-fried them, with a spritz of canola oil, over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes per side (then put them in the oven to stay warm).  I quickly discovered that oiling the pan in between each batch is ESSENTIAL to the success of these cakes, as they are quite sticky.


We enjoyed them topped with light sour cream and jalapenos (and accompanying grilled chicken).  The F did NOT realize these were cauliflower, until I slipped up and told him.  And, in the later days when he wolfed down the leftover cakes, he continuously referred to them as potato pancakes!  That, peeps, is a success.

These shoes are also, I think, a little tricky.

Rachel Zoe via Neiman Marcus

From the front they look like your standard, work-appropriate t-strap, and from the back they're a wedge-y party!  Tricky like cauliflower cakes!  Confusing like a mullet!  Get yours today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment