Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Cookie Swap Time! Coconut Oatmeal Crisps

Cooking:

 As I announced previously, this year I decided to join the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap.  It was with some trepidation that I made this decision, as I normally only try out new recipes on people that HAVE to like what I make (ie the H or other immediate family members).  But I went out on a limb nonetheless and made some Coconut Oatmeal Crisps


Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Oatmeal Crisps (adapted from BHG):

  • 1 3/4  cups  quick-cooking rolled oats
  • 3/4  cup  sugar
  • 3/4  cup  all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes, plus more for sprinkling 
  • 1/2  teaspoon  baking powder
  • 3/4  cup  butter, melted
  • 1/4  cup  light-colored corn syrup
  • 1/4  cup  whipping cream
  • 1 1/2  cups  bittersweet chocolate pieces
  • 3  tablespoons  shortening

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and get out a big cookie sheet to line with foil.  (I am normally hard core about using my baking stones for cookies, but they didn't work well with this recipe.)  Then combine your dry ingredients, including the coconut flakes.

In another bowl combine your butter, corn syrup, and whipping cream, and stir that into your dry mixture.  Drop the dough onto your foil by rounded teaspoons and bake for about 11 minutes.  The cookies will start to brown around the edges.  Remove the foil from the cookie sheet, replace with a new sheet, and start it all over again, allowing your cookies to cool completely on the foil (I had about 4 sheets of foil going during the process).


After all of your cookies are completely cooled, heat the chocolate and shortening in a double boiler, stirring occasionally, and then dip your cookies in the chocolate.  I then laid my cookies on a cooling rack with foil below, and sprinkled them with coconut before placing them in the fridge to harden a bit.  


I sent my cookies to three bloggers in totally different parts of the country (Shanna, Annakate, and Chrystal), and I hope that they enjoyed them!  I received cookies from two other bloggers, Erica and Lisa and dang, these people know how to make cookies.  They put me to shame! 

Reading:


 

I bought The Shining Girls months ago (in April, I believe?) and it just arrived.  I haven't had a chance to crack it yet (it's on my agenda for the weekend) but I can't WAIT.  Word is it was slated for a movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio before it was even released to the public.  I hope it lives up to the hype!

Wearing: 


 Scuba Leggings via Express

I purchased these leggings (at the recommendation of a friend) for Thanksgiving and they didn't disappoint.  They wipe clean and they stretch, and they kept me warm in the below-freezing Minnesota temps.  I require nothing more of holiday eating attire.

2 comments:

  1. Now that I have your recipe.... I will be making these little gems.... more times than I should admit ;) Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you liked them, Chrystal!

    ReplyDelete